The government has extended the two-week partial lockdown of Accra, Tema, Kasoa and Kumasi by an additional week to help prevent further spread of the coronavirus.
This was announced by President Akufo-Addo in a televised address to the nation on Thursday, 9 April 2020.
Ghana’s COVID-19 cases have risen to 378 as of 9 April 2020 with six deaths, two in critical condition and four full recoveries.
The President said: “Seventy-nine per cent of the three hundred seventy-eight confirmed cases were imported”, adding: “Clearly, until we have the situation fully under control, we cannot, at this time, open our borders; they’ll have to remain shut until further notice”.
Mr Akufo-Addo said a total of four hundred and fifty contact-tracing teams have been able to take samples of thirty-seven thousand four hundred and five people, so far.
“In total, seventy-seven positive cases were recorded in Accra and Kumasi, representing zero point five three per cent of the fourteen thousand six hundred and eleven.
“We expect to be able to test some ten thousand additional samples in the coming week to give us a clearer picture to enable take a decision on the way forward”, he announced, adding: “The fight is not over and we are by no means out of the woods yet”.
“So, the decision has been taken, through the issuance of another executive instrument, to extend the restriction on movement in the Greater Accra metropolitan area and Kasoa; and the Greater Kumasi metropolitan area and its contiguous districts by one more week”.