On Tuesday June 29, 2021 irate youth of Ejura Sekyedumase went on demonstration to protest the killing of a social activist, Ibrahim Mohammed, also known as ‘Kaaka Macho’.
The angry youth clashed with Police cum Military personnel which led to the death of two persons while others were injured.
President Nana Akufo-Addo issued a directive to the Minister of Interior to investigate the circumstances leading to a protest by the youth and the subsequent shooting by Military cum Police personnel which led to the casualties recorded.
The Minister of Interior on July 2, set up a three-member Committee to investigate the incident.
The members of the Committee are:
- George Kingsley Koomson, Justice of the Court of Appeal – Chairman
- Vladimir Antwi Danso (PhD.) – Member
- Juliet Adime Amoah (Ms.) – Member
- With Mrs. Marie-Louise Simmons as Secretary.
The Terms of Reference for the Committee were to:
- Conduct a public inquiry into the circumstances that led to the unfortunate occurrences at Ejura in the Ashanti Region, on Tuesday 29th June 2021;
- Inquire into any matter, the committee considers incidental or reasonably related to the cause of the events and the associated deaths and injuries;
- Submit a detailed report with recommendations for appropriate action within ten (10) days i.e by the 9th of July 2021.
Upon request from the Committee, the deadline for public hearing of the Committee was extended to Friday, 16th July, 2021.
The Ministerial Committee presented its findings to the Interior Minister on July 27, 2021.
The full report is published below: